- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- 1 - 28 oz. can whole, peeled tomatoes (Cento San Marzano or other low sodium whole, peeled tomato variety)
- ½ white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp flaxseed, ground
- ⅓ cup Welch's 100% Grape Juice
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 grinds fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup pasta sauce (see sauce recipe above)
- Turkey pepperoni slices
- Chicken apple sausages, cooked and chopped into small dice
- Fresh spinach
- Shredded cheese
- Pre-made 100% whole wheat pizza crust
- Cornmeal (if desired)
- Any additional toppings your family prefers
- Spray a non-stick sauté pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, add onions and garlic to the sauté pan and sauté until translucent, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, empty contents of tomatoes (including juice).
- Using a whisk, gently break up the whole tomatoes into medium-sized pieces.
- Add onion and garlic mixture to tomatoes and stir.
- Add grape juice, ground flaxseed, oregano thyme, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes; adjust seasonings.
- Prepare pre-made crust according to directions. (If using Trader Joe's pizza dough, I suggest par-baking the crust for 8-10 minutes.)
- Lightly cover pizza pan or pizza stone with cornmeal.
- Place crust on pizza pan or pizza stone.
- Spread ¼–½ cup sauce on the crust.
- Top with preferred toppings.
- Bake until cheese is warm and bubbly.
Nutrition per Serving
Serving Size: 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 40 calories
- 1g fat
- 0g saturated fat
- 1g protein
- 8g carbohydrate
- 0mg cholesterol
- 325mg sodium
- 2g fiber
Recipe Created by
Robin Plotkin, RD, LD